#42 The Need To Be Safe & Focus
This is the 2nd episode of our 5 episode series on the hierarchy of needs and how those needs consume our minds and focus. Unfortunately, we leave little brain energy to focus on our future, which leads us right back to the hamster wheel day after day after day. Today we are talking about the second level of needs: our need to be safe. Let’s dig in…
00:00 Intro to safety needs & focus
00:32 Intro to podcast
01:05 Problem with how our safety effect focus
09:49 Solutions to increasing our focus
- Recap problem from episode #41.
- Our brains have limited capacity to focus and makes us tired.
- Constantly focusing on short term needs prevent us from focusing on long-term goals.
- Our Desire to be Safe (SimplyPsychology.org)
- once an individual’s physiological needs are satisfied, we focus on our need for security and safety.
- People want to experience order, predictability and control in their lives. For example, emotional security, financial security (e.g. employment, social welfare), law and order, freedom from fear, social stability, property, health and wellbeing (e.g. safety against accidents and injury).
- These needs can be fulfilled by the family and society (e.g. police, schools, business and medical care).
- We are at war with the need to be safe and those who want to exploit our fear of not being safe.
- (Winkelmeyer) 54% said they're more fearful than hopeful about what's in store for the world in 2022. (Episode #23: Fear)
- Boston Marathon Example.
- We are constantly in a fear state, which absolutely consumes our focus.
- Fear takes an incredible amount of energy from our brain. (Break In, Bear in the woods.
- Flee unsafe environments: bad relationship, bad job, bad work relationship
- Stop consuming fear mongering media
- Acknowledge the truth: you may die today, there is little you can do
- Acknowledge when you feel safe and why
- Share your fears or lack of safety with solid friends
FIND US ON
#focus #dream #safetyneeds