#85 Ego Death & Focus
00:34 Music Intro
01:20 What is Ego & Dissolution
03:48 What Happens During Ego Dissolution
21:40 How Can Ego Dissolution Change Focus
In our last episode, we talked about psilocybin and one of the common experiences mentioned is this concept called Ego Death or Ego Dissolution. I experienced ego death… it was a profound experience and it completely changed my perception. On today's episode, we are going to break it down.
What is Ego Dissolution?
- What is Ego: a person's sense of self-esteem or self-importance.
- What is Dissolution: the ending or breaking up of an assembly or a partnership or corporation.
- What is Ego Dissolution: The boundaries between self and the external world become blurred or disappear altogether.
What happens during an ego dissolution Experience?
- Loss of self-identity: The individual may feel a detachment or disconnection from their usual sense of who they are, leading to a sense of selflessness or a merging with the broader environment.
- Dissolution of boundaries: The distinctions between the self and the external world may blur or disappear. This can include a diminished sense of physical boundaries, a loss of the usual distinction between "self" and "other."
- Altered perception of time and space: The usual linear experience of time may be disrupted, and the individual may feel a sense of timelessness or a collapse of temporal boundaries.
- Transcendence and interconnectedness: Ego dissolution experiences often involve a profound sense of interconnectedness with other people, nature, or even the entire universe. This can include feelings of unity, oneness, or a shared consciousness with all things.
How can an ego dissolution experience change our focus?
- What are our ego’s currently focused on? Where does our self esteem and self-importance come from?
In our current construct our self importance “value” comes from our labor contribution.
- SLAVES WERE PROPERTY: From Ancient Egypt to Colonial America, societies had slaves, and while developed societies had layers of classes, slaves were typically the lowest… not seen as humans, but property.
- NATION OF WORKERS
- John D. Rockefeller “I don’t want a nation of thinkers, I want a nation of workers.” — He donated 140M (Estimated to be 6B today) to establish the school board.
- Frederick T. Gates, original members of the General Education Board said, “In our dream, we have limitless resources and the people yield themselves with perfect docility to our molding hand.
Where does our value come from if not from labor?
- Where does our value come from if it does not come from labor?
I BELIEVE all humans have intrinsic value regardless of their class, race, sex, ability or disability and that labor contribution is a made up construct.
- If we disconnect from the world’s expectations of self, we can experience our true self. Allowing us to better understand one’s true self in this world.
- ReWire The Brain
- Our brains have what is called predictive processing. This goes deeper than breathing and walking, but all the way down to what we perceive our value is.
- DISCONNECT: from our sense of self attached to labor.
- RECONNECT: intrinsic value.