#15 Forms and Focus Discussion on Meditation
It is hard to focus on what we want when our minds are screaming.
For some of us, our brains never stop and oftentimes leads to chronic stress. In this episode, we talk about calming the mind through meditation to reduce stress and focus on our dreams.
At Forms & Focus, our mission is to increase your focus so you can accomplish your dreams. Many of us have dreams and goals. What keeps us from them is our inability to remove distractions and focus. We will accomplish our mission by providing you with guided forms that manifest radical focus.
0:00 - Intro on meditation.
1:30 - Problem - Our attitude greatly impacts our ability to focus.
3:40 - Solution/Habits for better focus.
LISTEN TO EPISODE
SHOW NOTES FOR EPISODE #15
- People are stressed out at work and working at home. In 2019, 94% of American workers report experiencing stress at their workplace.
- 63% of US workers are ready to quit their jobs due to stress.
- Small but thorough study of 14 subjects at the University of Pennsylvania. 8-Week Meditation Program: The meditation program resulted in significant increases in baseline cerebral blood flow ratios in the prefrontal, superior frontal, and superior parietal cortices. More research is needed.
- Department of Neurology, School of Medicine, UCLA examined the link between age and cerebral gray matter in 100 individuals. The long-term meditators and control subjects aged between 24 and 77 years. Altogether, these findings seem to suggest less age-related gray matter atrophy in long-term meditation practitioners.
- Study by Yale University found that mindfulness meditation decreases activity in the default mode network, the brain network responsible for mind-wandering and self-referential thoughts.
- Study on the Association for Psychological Science found that Mindfulness training improved both GRE reading comprehension scores and working memory capacity while simultaneously reducing the occurrence of distracting thoughts during completion of the GRE and the measure of working memory.
- Lots of forms/ways to meditations
- Mindfulness meditation: mindfulness meditation is the basic act of being aware — or mindful — of what you are doing in the present moment.
- Body scan meditations focus on consciously relaxing different parts of the body.
- Instead of using the breath as the object of awareness, walking meditation encourages you to focus on each footstep in order to be fully present.
- Loving kindness is a form of meditation geared towards cultivating compassion for yourself and others.
- Transcendental meditation involves focusing on a specific mantra or phrase by repeating it during meditation.