#44 The Need For Esteem & Focus
This is the 4th episode of our 5 episode series on the hierarchy of needs and how those needs consume our minds and focus. Unfortunately, we leave little brain energy to focus on our future, which leads us right back to the hamster wheel day after day after day. Today we are talking about the fourth level of needs: our Need for Esteem. Let’s dig in…
00:00 Intro to physiological needs & focus
00:37 Intro to podcast
01:10 Problem Need for Esteem & Focus
11:30 Solution to increasing our focus
- Our Need for Esteem (simplypsychology.org)
- Our need for self-worth, accomplishment and respect.
- Maslow classified esteem needs into two categories:
- (i) esteem for oneself (dignity, achievement, mastery, independence) and
- (ii) the desire for reputation or respect from others (e.g., status, prestige).
- (Interaction Design.org) Components that are involved in achieving a sense of self-esteem, such as respect of others, an internal acceptance of who we actually are, confidence, and achievement.
- The need for internal acceptance is necessary for any external validation to have a significant and long-lasting effect. Example: someone says your great, and on the inside, you think: no you are not, you are a fucking moron.” Episode #24 Inner Narrative
- We spend a lot of time thinking about our personal acceptance and are we respected by others. Some of our most fierce conflicts come from feeling disrespected by others. What are you not thinking about - your future.
- Science Daily: Be as kind to yourself as you are to others. See your mistakes as opportunities to learn. Notice things you do well, however small
- Ask a trusted friend or colleague to tell you what your strengths are or what they value about you
- Spend some quiet time by yourself. Tune in to how you're feeling inside and try to be at peace with who you are.
FIND US ON
#focus #dream #esteemneeds